The Brain and Creativity Institute at the University of Southern California, is seeking a full time Specialized Laboratory Technician beginning immediately. The successful candidate will work with Drs. Hanna Damasio and Assal Habibi studying child brain development and how positive interventions such as music training or sports can influence development of brain structures and their connections. Primary responsibilities include managing and analyzing large scale MRI data (including Functional MRI, Diffusion Tensor Imaging and Structural MRI). Responsibilities include performing moderate to complex specific laboratory procedures, testing etc, utilizing techniques and technology related to specialized scientific field (e.g. May prepare regular and special media formulations; produce grow or culture microbiological materials; performs Elisa plate testing with consistent high quality test results, etc.)
Qualifications include a BA/BS (or MA/MS although not required) in cognitive science, neuroscience, computer science, biomedical engineering or related areas, and excellent organizational and technical skills. Applicant must be comfortable with programming in Matlab and a statistical language including R, Statistica and/or SPSS. Preference will be given to candidates with prior neuroimaging research experience and familiarity with analysis of functional and structural MRI data (knowledge of FSL,Brainsuite, Freesurfer).
This is a grant funded position: Pay range: $24 – 27.85/hr – DOE
Required Documents and Additional Information:
- Resume and cover letter required (may be uploaded as one file). Please do not submit your application without these documents.
- Job openings are posted for a minimum of (5) five business days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended, so please apply on the same business day if interested.
- USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff and their family with access to the renowned university medical network; eligibility for retirement plans with employer contributions after six months of employment; tuition benefits for staff and their family; free Professional Development classes; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, buses and free tram pick up services; discounts to sporting and other campus events.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum Experience: 4 years
- Minimum Field of Expertise: Degree in directly related specialized scientific field. Previous specialized laboratory experience, knowledgeable in use of specialized laboratory equipment. Working knowledge of lab procedures, techniques and testing related to specialized scientific field. Computer literacy.
Please submit your application to https://usccareers.usc.edu/job/los-angeles/specialized-lab-technician/1209/15298386928
- Position Category: Staff
- Name of lab: USC Brain and Creativity Institute
- Name of supervisor: Drs. Hanna Damasio and Assal Habibi
- Open until filled
The University of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.