Psychological Science Research Support Specialist
The Psychological Science Department at Pomona College seeks a full-time Psychological Science Research Support Specialist. The Psychological Science Research Support Specialist will assist faculty, staff and students in preparing, maintaining, and using computing and scientific equipment for psychological research in classrooms and research laboratories. The Psychological Science Department at Pomona College emphasizes an integrative approach to understanding human behavior from biological, cognitive, developmental, social, and cultural perspectives, along with applications. The department values diversity, equity and inclusion as part of the core mission of our science.
Reporting to the Department Chair, the Psychological Science Research Support Specialist works directly with faculty to provide the following:
- Instruct in the use of psychological equipment and software for classroom instruction, and for senior thesis and faculty research; maintain currency with knowledge and trends related to psychological equipment and software.
- Interface with research systems vendors and college IT support staff to purchase and maintain equipment and software for research labs and classrooms.
- Utilize and stay abreast of the use of hormonal, (e.g. salivary assays), neurophysiological (EEG and ERPs), psychophysiological, and computational methods used in psychological research.
- Facilitate the use of neuroimaging methods (e.g. fMRI, fNIRS) in student and faculty research.
- Facilitate programming of psychological experiments for student and faculty research and both laboratory (e.g. Python, MatLab, E-Prime) and online data collection (e.g., MTurk, Qualtrics).
- Perform special projects/tasks/duties and provide departmental assistance as needed, such as assisting with departmental and inter-departmental events within the consortium.
- Assist faculty in providing cost estimates and initiating purchases for research, including equipment and software purchases, transaction for online data collection and subject payments.
- Support faculty with developing IRB protocols and with data Collection including participate recruitment on and off campus.
- Maintain online research participation management system (Sona).
Education: Bachelor’s degree in psychology or related field is required. A Master’s degree in Psychology or related field is preferred
Experience: Experience supporting research activities at an academic institution and/or experience with computer programming are preferred. The ideal candidate will have proficiency in both English and Spanish language (though the latter is not required). Finally, the successful candidate will have experience working with a diverse faculty and student body.
ABOUT POMONA COLLEGE: Located near Los Angeles, California, Pomona College is widely regarded as one of the nation’s premier liberal arts colleges. Established in 1887, Pomona College is known for small classes, a challenging curriculum, close relationships between students and faculty, and a range of student research and leadership opportunities. Pomona is a member of The Claremont Colleges.
More information can be found at: